Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tool #8

I really like using videos as a resource in my classroom. Videos give students visual representation of the concepts being taught. As a result, they are able to understand the concepts better and retain the information.

I have used Streaming Video, YouTube, and Hulu consistently in my classroom. I was so excited to become more familiar with the other video resources.

I am including a YouTube video I used in my class this year when teaching camaflouge and mimicry. The students were amazed by this octopus!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygh1-ul6E94

Blinkx is a wonderful resource! I definitely will utilize this website in the future. I love you can search videos on a particular topic and it brings them together under one site. I found this video using Blinkx. It is a clip from MSNBC that discusses the environmental effects of the oil spill on wildlife. This would be great to show during the 2nd grade units on habitats so students can better understand how habitats are threatened.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37527985#37527985

Videos are a wonderful resource for the classroom. It gives students greater insight to the information being taught. But, as with any resource, videos should be previewed and planned ahead of time to ensure that the content is suitable for the students viewing.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love using videos in my classroom. The only shame is that the district is supposed to be getting rid of United Streaming/Discovery Education. I'm glad to have more resources to pull from! That Octopus really is amazing! Good work, I might borrow it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, but the rumor was wrong. Discovery Education and all its good videos is NOT leaving the district!

    ReplyDelete