Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tool #2

1. What are your thoughts about building an online education community and participating in a PLN?
I have been teaching for 12 years. Some of my favorite moments as a teacher have come from collaboration with other teachers at my school. The conversations and relationships we build with each other is the basis for a successful classroom environment. Teachers should always think of themselves as a learner. I like the article that stated "educators are not competitors". We are all in this together for one common goal....the success of students!
It is exciting to think that my PLN can extend to other teachers beyond my own little world. It is also exciting to think that the students at my school can have their own PLN beyond our classroom doors. It really broadens our horizons as far as communication goes. I am excited also because I will be beginning online classes in a counseling masters program next month, which I imagine will be another PLN for me. Talk about being immersed in a new learning setting!

2. What point stood out to you from the commenting advice?
The point that stood out the most to me is "write a meaningful comment". Students will definitely need to be taught what a meaningful comment is. (This reminds me of a reading lesson I've done with students on making meaningful connections. Too many times, students want to make a text-to-self connection with a story and although it is a connection, the connection they make doesn't help with comprehension...but I digress...)

3. What five blogs did you select for your comments?
  • Teaching and Technology-Eric Zulaica
  • The Tech-Teacher Experiment-Kathryn Thomas
  • Tomorrow and Beyond-Maria Mendez
  • 11 Tools Training-Nancy Delgado
  • Discovering Technology for Education-Guadalupe Menjivar

5 comments:

  1. "Teachers should always think of themselves as a learner." So true! I'm going on my third year of teaching and it has been a journey and such an exciting experience for me. I have found that the more open I am to learning new things, the better I become as a teacher. My students have taught me some great things and if I did not have the mind set of being a learner/teacher, I would have missed out on some valuable lessons. You brought up some very good points. Thanks for sharing your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The article about "meaningful" commenting really struck a chord with me, too. A lot of times during reading, like you mentioned, kids get wrapped up in responding, but their responses are not meaningful. I get this a lot in writing, too. Kids struggle to make helpful comments on classmates' writing. If we can connect meaningful responses in reading & writing with meaningful comments on blogs and PLNs, then we could be teaching our students to be more intelligent thinkers and bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. Most of the knowlege I have acquired during my career as an educator has been by networking with other teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new teacher, and i love your thoughts about teachers being learners and your emphasis on communication and building relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a new teacher this year. I feel that children must make connections in order to understand the point being made or lesson being taught. I agree that teachers should always be life-long learners and also be proactive in introducing new technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete