Monday, June 21, 2010

After 11 Tools: Reflections

I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about all of the tools. The most useful thing I have learned from this process is how to create a blog. I plan on having an ongoing blog in my classroom every year from now on. Some of my favorite tools were PhotoStory, Animoto, GoogleDocs, Wordle, and Skype. I have already been using PhotoStory in the classroom with my students and will continue to use it in the future. I purchased a web cam and plan on using Skype. I will try it out at home first, then use it in the classroom. I would love for my students to use GoogleDocs for any research project they work on. I would like to use GoogleDocs with my teammates as well. I will use Wordle to capture the students' attention at the beginning of a reading lesson.

I feel that I have really transformed my thinking about technology in the classroom. In the past I thought some of these things would be too difficult to incorporate. Boy was I wrong! I am glad that I have had the opportunity to learn more about things that I had heard about, but was too afraid to try. Now that I feel more confident using these tools myself, it will be easier to implement in my classroom.

Honestly, when I first learned that I would have to create a blog and post my thoughts for everyone to read, I kind of freaked out. But, after the first couple of posts, I realized how much fun blogging is and how beneficial these tools will be for my students. I've really enjoyed reading every one's blogs, reading people's comments, and taking a big leap into the 21st Century. Now I can't believe I was even a bit hesitant in the first place. After all, we are all on this journey together!

4 comments:

  1. "feel that I have really transformed my thinking about technology in the classroom."

    Thank you! Our job is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Melanie - what a great job! I enjoyed seeing pictures of Max, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about possibly continuing your blog and sharing your expereiences throughout the year? We would love to see your projects in action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You really ARE the little blogger that could! I am still in the hesitant stage. I feel weird blogging, even though I have NO trouble being opiniated! I'm looking forward to picking your brains next academic year for ideas and advice. Have a super summer!

    ReplyDelete