Monday, June 14, 2010

Tool #6

I really like the idea of using a Wiki in the classroom. When teaching reading comprehension to students , having them link their background knowledge with new information is key. Wikis will help students build greater connections between new and old knowledge by allowing student-created structure for the information and ideas. Plus they can collaborate. In my mind, you can use Wikis as a kind of online literature circle or book study. When thinking of Bloom's, the students will use synthesis and evaluation constantly and consistently when they work on a Wiki.

As a part of the intervention team, Wikis can be used to organize literacy groups. Instead of emailing back and forth, we can use a Wiki to organize data, groups, and information about the students. I could be wrong, but Wikis sound similar to Google Docs. I think either one of these could be used to organize intervention groups.

2 comments:

  1. Melanie: your postings are so well thought out, and well written. It is obvious you are putting a lot of time and effort into this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It helps that this is really fun. I guess that I'm just trying to prepare myself for beginning graduate courses next month!

    ReplyDelete